Wow! After my post on Friday about how I felt like I was getting stuck in a running rut I received a lot of great feedback.
It made me realize a few things:
1.) I started training wayyy too early. I started training for the the Chicago marathon back in May which would give me 5 months of training before the race. What was I thinking? No wonder I’ve been feeling burnt out. Dumb Dumb Sarah
2.) I need to switch up my training plan a bit. I had been using Hal Higdon’s plan which basically has me running 5 days a week with 1 cross training day. I know that I need to 1.) have an active rest day after my long runs 2.) run less and incorporate more cross training during the week.
3.) I totally lost my happy running place. 😦 Where did it go? I used to literally go to bed thinking about waking up, lacing up my shoes and knocking out some miles. Granted I wasn’t running 10+ miles, I was doing 5-9 at the most…
So, now that I understand what is going on I just need to “drop back 10 and kick” as my dad would say.. (it’s a football phrase and it means you need to go about things a different way).
Starting on Friday I took the day off of marathon training which turned into a weekend off and ya know what? I feel great!
While I took the weekend off of marathon training that doesn’t mean I was a complete bum and took the weekend off of exercising. Who do you think I am anyways? I live for activity and don’t do well sitting still..
Friday afternoon was spent here:
- Devil’s Ice Box Trail Hike: We hiked around for a good 2 hours and while I didn’t track the distance I would say we did a good 4-5 miles (minimum).
Saturday was spent doing a little of this:
- Unplanned 20 mile bike ride: Whaaatt?? Yep, 20 miles! It was completely relaxed though. I’m pretty spoiled in my college town because the entire city is connected by trails. So, we hopped onto the trail and about 10 miles later landed downtown and were starving.
Naturally, we refueled with the usual:
- Red Mango Fro Yo Parfait: Peppermint + Pomegranate fro yo+ strawbs/blueberries/kiwi/blackberries/granola/walnuts = Bliss. Yumzo!
Sunday I woke up to do a short run:
- From my Daily Mile: 3.6 mi 00:32 08:53 pace
The weather was sooo humid this morning and my run was basically all uphill today. The distance felt good this morning though. Morning runs are the best though. Now, what to do with the rest of my Sunday??
- And continued to spend the rest of my day lounging, catching up on blog reading, grocery shopping 🙂 and making some yummy food! I forgot how much I love to cook. It’s relaxing, rewarding and delicious! I hope I never again fall into the lazy food trap.
Some Recent Eats:
- Jenna’s Spinach Feta Turkey Burgers
- Fancy Hawaiian Pizza from A Cozy Kitchen
- Baked Sweet Potato Fries courtesy of Rhodey Girl Tests
- Cherry Apple Pie: I’ve never made a pie until this weekend and boy am I glad that I did! Pair this little gem with a scoop of your favorite ice cream and you might find yourself in your our own heaven. I know I did! Yumzo.
Happy Monday Everyone!