Normally on Friday’s I do a weekly wrap up and go over my workouts for the week and make sure I’m on track with my training plan.
Since, I’ve gotten off track with my training plan like big time I think I’m going to do something a little different this week.
While it’s the end of a week it’s the beginning of a month and just so ya know I love new beginnings. I love the start of every season, every school year, birthdays, new years.. you get the idea. They all bring a chance to check in with yourself and see where you are and how you want to move forward.
Last month I wrote a list of goals I wanted to achieve for June so, in true “new beginning” fashion let’s do a little check in.
Goals for June:
- Stick to Hal Higdon’s training plan! Lately I’ve been running willy nilly and while I’ve been getting the miles in I have definitely felt the effects. If Hal says take a rest day that does not mean run or have a two hour bike ride it means rest Sarah. My knees are starting feel it and my achilles? Yikes! Dumb dumb Sarah. So, starting today I will be getting back to the training plan and logging my workouts on here as well as on Daily Mile.
- Incorporate pilates and/or yoga into my workouts at least twice a week. Lately, (probably because of my willy nilly workouts) my body has felt soo tight. Adding in pilates and/or yoga at least twice a week will help to stretch me out and strengthen me up. Since I found my favorite pilates video I don’t think this will be a problem at all. Very doable!
Since I’ve dropped Hal’s training plan I’ve been able to do more pilates than I had been doing. I still could incorporate more into my routine though. I might need to start doing this before my runs instead of after. Once I finish running all I want to do is stretch, shower and get on with my day. I think a pre-run pilates session would do me good.
- Eat more vegetables. As much as I hate to admit it I’ve totally failed at this whole pescatarian deal while at home. I was super successful while I was in Chicago and in Dallas but once I got back with my family my veggie meals fell by the wayside. It’s not that my family forces meat on me but if it’s what’s for dinner then it’s what for dinner. I can definitely tell that my body feels more sluggish when I eat more meat than when I have a more veggie based diet. Since I head back to school tomorrow I know this will be an easy task for me since I never buy meat for myself anyways.
- Eat more intuitively. This is a big one for me. Sometimes I get into such a routine with my eats that I eat pb oats because well, that’s what I always eat for breakfast. But what if I don’t want oatmeal in the morning? What if I want yogurt or a pancake instead? This might sound silly but it’s a mindless thing that I do.
- Read that book! Notice my goal tab? 22 before 22? Well, this one will kill two birds with one stone. I have to read this book for the freshman class I am teaching in the fall. Which means that I have to start this book and finish it. I hope it’s a good read. There’s nothing worse than dragging through a summer reading book..
- Girl time. As much of a busy bee that I am I totally lack in the social department at times. I’ve gotten so busy between my school work, res-life stuff, nanny jobs, girls on the run and my actual running that my social life kind of gets put on the back burner. I know this is bad. Especially because I’ve really developed some awesome relationships over this last year. Thankfully, it’s summer time now and I have slightly more free time so this month I
wantno need to make spending time with girlfriends a priority.